Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ugggg...

I told you I finished the story... I lied.

I use a website to see what words I use too freguently. Now it's handy even though it drives me nuts since I know I use some words too much, but there are words that sneak in anyway. Ugggg... The website won't do a whole novel at a time, but I can do a chapter at a time. It will list the 50 or 100 most frequently used words, again you tell the program how many. You copy and paste the chapter into the box and wait for the results. Copy and paste the results into a file, then do the next chapter until you have done the whole MS. You can set it to ignore small words like I, he, the, her, and so on. You can set it to report those words as well.

I alsways run my MS through, well the first few chapters anyway and I accumulate a list of words that need to be edited out of the MS before I send it off. I did the latest MS. That, walk, there, killer, then, should, could, would, well they always creep into my stories. I look for them, I eliminate all I see, yet there are still more! Uggg... lots and lots of editing to do yet again.

The first draft is the love affair. The second, third, and forth drafts are the real work. I wish I could remember who said that, but I can't at the moment.

Oh, here is the website.
Word Counter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home